14 September 2011

I Love My Kindle

Let's face it, books can be cumbersome. Some of them are heavy. Most are thick and hard to hold in the hands. Some weigh in at over 1000 pages and become a piece of heavy machinery that is difficult to operate, especially in hardcover.

The Kindle weighs the same no matter how many pages fill it up or what books are stacked inside. Why would I lug around a Stephen King hardcover when I can easily slip his entire library in my bag without adding any weight?

Another thing about books.. you have to make an effort to get them. Drive all the way to a store and wander around aisles upon aisles of pages looking for the book that you want. Buy the book and then drive all the way home before you can even start reading it. You could save gas money and order it online, but there are shipping costs and wait time as the book is sent to you.

I now have access to millions of books right at my fingertips. In less than a minute I can download a book and begin reading... I don't even have to get off the toilet!

But will books ever be completely replaced? I hope not. I do love flipping through an old book, smelling the pages. And what is better than going to a flea market or yard sale and picking up ten paperbacks for a couple bucks?

I still love the old fashion book, but I am all for the eReader. There are just so many wonderful things about them.

No comments: