13 July 2011

Great Picks - Chicago LockBack Knife


Chicago Lockback Knife
 This is one of my favorite picks of the year. This little knife was found in a storage unit that was bought at auction.

While digging through any unit, a lot of stuff is tossed in the trash. I was looking through drawers in desks and end tables and most of them were full of junk. It was best to just dump the drawers in the trash and be done with it.

But that is not how I roll. I carefully sift through everything, because gold comes in all sizes. This knife was found in one of those drawers.

Now consider this... after factoring in all of the items from that unit that can be sold and taking into account the price I paid for the unit, this knife cost me less than fifty cents. I did a little research on the knife and decided to list it on eBay with a starting bid of $1.00.

The auction went for seven days and at the end of the week it had about 10 people watching the auction and it ended with 19 bids. Final selling price of the knife was $68.50. That is one hell of a profit margin. This one little knife paid for over a third of the cost of that unit, and I could have easily thrown it in the trash.

The actual eBay listing after close of auction

No comments: